40 uses for baking soda
Baking soda has to be one of the most versatile substances on the planet.
All of us should have some in our kitchen.
It makes a great cleaner, deodorizer, mouth freshener, bath, and so much more.
The uses are endless.
Here are 40 uses for baking soda:
1. Antacid: Baking soda can relieve symptoms related to stomach acid. Refer to Arm & Hammer baking soda antacid instructions on the package. Please consult your doctor or health practitioner before self-treating.
2. Bath: Mix 1/2 a cup of baking soda into a warm bath, add 2 tbsps of raw coconut oil. It will help your skin feel soft. Rinse well.
3. Better laundry detergent: Add 1/2 cup baking soda to your laundry to increase the effectiveness of your detergent.
4. Bug bites: Create a paste of baking soda and water, and apply to affected area to relieve irritation from bug bites.
5. Car battery cleaner: Disconnect battery terminals before attempting this! Mix 3 parts baking soda with 1 part water and use it with a damp cloth to remove corrosion from battery acid. Be very careful when cleaning batteries. They contain very strong acid.
6. Car wash: Mix 1/4 cup of baking soda with 1 quart of warm water. Apply mixture with a sponge of micro-fiber cloth to remove dirt and grime from cars.
7. Carpet odors: Sprinkle baking soda on your carpets and leave overnight. Sweep up baking soda, and vacuum the remainder.
8. Cleans combs & brushes: Soak combs and brushes in a container of warm water with one 1 tsp. of baking soda and 1 tsp of white vinegar. It will help remove oils from the brushes and combs.
9. Cleans dishwasher: Add baking soda to a sponge and scrub dishwasher to clean and remove odors.
10. Cleans lunchboxes: When lunchbox is not being used, place a spill-proof box of baking soda into lunchbox to remove odors.
11. Cleans mouthpieces: Mix 2 tsps. of baking soda in a container of warm water and soak oral appliances (braces, mouth pieces, or dentures). This solution will help clean them.
12. Cleans & softens hands: Clean and soften hands with a mixture of 3 parts baking soda to 1 part water and 1 tsp of olive oil. This mixture helps clean dirt, leaving your hands smooth. You can also mix in 3 parts baking soda with an organic gentle hand soap.
13. Coffee & tea pot cleaner: Mix 1/4 cup baking soda with 1 quart of water and clean tough coffee and tea stains with a sponge.
14. Deodorizes and unclogs drains: Pour 1/2 cup of baking soda down the drain with 1.2 cup white vinegar. Run hot water to neutralize bad odors and unclog drains.
15. DIY toothpaste: Mix 2/3 cup of baking soda with 15 drops of peppermint essential oil. Add water for consistency. This makes a great toothpaste, and it is chemical free.
16. DIY deodorant: Pat baking soda under your arms to neutralize the bacteria that causes body odor. Better yet: add 1/2 tsp of baking soda to 1 slice of lemon. It will fuzz a little, wait a few seconds and apply on armpits.
17. DIY whitening solution: You can make your own whitening solution with baking soda.
18. Face & body scrub: Mix 3 parts baking soda to 1 part water and add 1 Tbsp or lemon juice. Rub gently into skin and rinse. This mix will exfoliate the skin. Use once a week.
19. Fire extinguisher: Baking soda helps control grease and electrical kitchen fires by giving off carbon dioxide and smothering fires. Throw handfuls of baking soda at base of the fire and make sure you stand back when doing so. Please call the fire department to be safe.
20. Fresh closets: Place a box on your shelves to keep them odor free.
21. Fresher sponges: Soak sponges in a mixture of 4 tablespoons baking soda and a quart of warm water to get rid of stale smell.
22. Floor cleaner: Mix 1/2 cup baking soda with a bucket of warm water. Use mixture to mop tile floors. Do not use o hardwood floors.
23. Fridge deodorizer: Open a box of baking soda and place in the back of fridge to remove odors. It’s as simple as that! Change the box monthly.
24. Fruit & vegetable scrub: Sprinkle baking soda onto a damp sponge, scrub, and rinse to remove dirt and wax from fruits and veggies.
25. Furniture cleaner: Remove stains from painted walls and furniture by sprinkling baking soda onto a sponge and scrubbing lightly. Dry with a clean cloth.
26. Hand washing dishes: Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda along with your regular detergent to hand wash dishes. It will help cute grease.
27. Microwave cleaner: Sprinkle baking soda on a damp sponge to clean microwaves. Make sure to rinse thoroughly after.
28. Mouthwash: Mix 1 tsp of baking soda with half a glass of water and a few drops of peppermint essential oil.
Gargle as you would a mouthwash. It will neutralize odor causing bacteria, leaving your mouth smelling fresh.
29. Oil & grease stain remover: Sprinkle baking soda onto driveway to remove oil stains. Scrub with a wet brush for a few minutes.
30. Oven cleaner: Sprinkle baking soda onto oven bottom, and spray with water. Let it sit overnight. In the morning, clean out the grime with a sponge, warm water and rinse well.
31. Pet bed & litter box deodorizer: Cover cat box bottom with baking soda and then add litter as usual. Sprinkle baking soda onto pet beds, let it sit for 15 minutes, and then vacuum.
32. Polish silver flatware: Mix 3 parts baking soda to 1 part water. Apply to flatware with sponge, rinse, and dry for shiny flatware. For a more potent version add 1 Tbsp of white vinegar.
33. Revitalizes hair: Mix in a little baking soda with your shampoo and lather into hair as usual. This mix will strip the hair of all the chemical residue from beauty products and shampoos. Use with care if you color your hair.
34. Septic system maintenance: One cup of baking soda in your drains weekly will do wonders for septic tank maintenance.
35. Shower curtain cleaner: Sprinkle baking soda onto a damp sponge and scrub shower curtains clean. Hang up to dry. For a more potent version add 1 Tbsp of white vinegar.
36. Sneaker deodorizer: Shake baking soda in sneakers to remove odors. Make sure to shake baking soda out after.
37. Sports apparel and gear cleaner: Mix 4 tablespoons of baking soda with 1 quart of warm water and use it to clean dirty sports gear.
38. Stuffed animal cleaner: Deodorize your children’s favorite stuffed toys by sprinkling on baking soda. Let it sit for 15 minutes and then brush off.
39. Surface scrub: Sprinkle baking soda and 1 Tbsp of lemon juice onto a wet sponge to clean white porcelain bathtubs, sinks, toilets and tiles. Rinse and dry.
40. Trashcan & recycle bin deodorizer: Sprinkle baking soda on trash can to neutralizer bad odors.
Note: None of the information in our website is intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. The content on our website is for educational purposes only.
DON’T FORGET to sign up for our weekly newsletter to get our latest articles, updates, free recipes and giveaways.
1. “40 Fantastic Uses for Baking Soda.” Yahoo! Shine. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 July 2013.