The League of Women Voters of San Francisco Gala 2014 celebrates four visionaries

The League of Women Voters of San Francisco Gala 2014 celebrates four visionaries

On March 20, 2014 the “Women Who Could Be President” Gala was held at the Historic City Club of San Francisco.

It is an honor to Chair the “Women Who Could Be President” Gala.  My expectations are to help encourage women of all backgrounds, to pursue their goals, and not be intimidated by the unknown… only recently have women entered leadership roles in politics, technology, finance, and entertainment… only recently have women been given the opportunity to join corporate boards.  This event is a testimonial to the community that illustrates the stories of some of the top women in the San Francisco Bay Area,” states co-chair of event, Bianca Velishek.

With style and leadership the League of Women Voters celebrated four San Francisco visionaries.

4 honorees copy

The four honorees: From left to right Sandy Close, Susan A. Sutherland, Denise Bradley-Tyson and Katie Albright

” I am thrilled to lend my support,” shares Mistress of Ceremonies Cheryl Jennings, News Anchor KGO – ABC Channel 7 

Cheryl Jennings, News Anchor KGO – Channel 7

Emcee: Cheryl Jennings, News Anchor KGO – ABC 7

The four honorees have made an impact  in our community and truly can hold their own among national leaders.

Katie Albright Esq. is the Executive Director of the San Francisco Child Abuse Prevention Center.  Prior to that she was the San Francisco Deputy City Attorney, San Francisco Education Fund Policy Director, and Preschool California Co-Director of Policy & Outreach.

It is amazing to be an honoree and I am thrilled. What the League does around the country and San Francisco is exactly what we need. It raises the dialogue and raises the conversation around democracy,” says Katie.

Honoree Katie Albright gives a thank you speech

Honoree Katie Albright gives a heartfelt thank you speech

Denise Bradley-Tyson is a certified LBE as designated by the San Francisco Human Rights Commission and also serves as Vice President of the San Francisco Film Commission. She led the 2005 launch of the Museum of the African Diaspora in San Francisco.

I am very humbled and inspired to be an honoree. The grounding my parents provided  me have helped me be the person I am today,” proudly shares Denise.

Honoree Denise Bradley-Tyson

Honoree Denise Bradley-Tyson stands up to give her thank you speech

Sandy Close began reporting on China and Vietnam in the mid-1960s and founded an inner-city newspaper in Oakland before becoming editor of Pacific News Service in 1974. In 1996 she founded New America Media, the country’s first association of ethnic media organizations.

”  It is really humbling to be among this impressive group of women. I did not expect this and I was surprised, ” shares Sandy with heartfelt emotion.

Honoree Sandy Close gives a thank you speech

Honoree Sandy Close gives her thank you speech

Susan Sutherland is Senior Vice President at the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco and is the Seattle Branch Manager, responsible for oversight of the Branch’s Board of Directors. Susan also chairs the Board of Directors of the United Way of the Bay Area.

It is very exciting yet humbling to be honored. We hope to bring awareness of what the League does with this event. Stand for active civic engagement. Invest in the community and get involved,” states Susan.

Susan being honored with Cynthia Foster, League of Women Voters of San Francisco President

Susan being honored with Cynthia Foster, League of Women Voters of San Francisco President

One of the highlight of the evening was the presence of former President of Peru Alejandro Toledo, and First Lady, Eliane Karp.

2014 LWVSF Gala 2

Richard Janney,Bianca Velishek, Sandy Close, Susan A. Sutherland, President Alejandro Toledo and First lady Eliane Karp, Denise Bradley-Tyson, Katie Albright, Cynthia Foster, Cheryl Jennings and Sophie Azouaou.

Guests enjoyed exquisite hors d’oeuvres, award-winning WENTE wine and mingled.

Marie Ballargeon with Cheryl Jennings

Marie Ballargeon with Emcee Cheryl Jennings

Gala Chair Bianca Velishek and

Gala Chair Bianca Velishek and Suzy Pak

Group1

From left: Sandy Close, Susan A. Sutherland, Denise Bradley-Tyson, Katie Albright, Bianca Velishek, Sophie Azouaou, Cheryl Jennings, Jenny Waggoner and Cynthia Foster

A happy Susan Sutherland

A happy Susan A. Sutherland

The guests

Guests applaud Susan A. Sutherland

First Lady, President, Sophie Azouaou and Tatiana Takaeva

First Lady Eliane Karp and President of Peru Alejandro Toledo, Sophie Azouaou and Tatiana Takaeva

I am pleased to be here as I see women and men taking into in their own hands their own destiny. That way they can identify issues and resolve them at the state and national levels. This can affect the world,” mentions  President Alejandro Toledo.

Former President of Peru Alejandro Toledo and First Lady Eliane Karp

Former President of Peru Alejandro Toledo and First Lady Eliane Karp

Philanthropist Sheila Ash and Tatiana Takaeva, Owner of Arttitud

Philanthropist Sheila Ash and Tatiana Takaeva, Owner of Arttitud

Guests and ambience

Guests and ambience

San Francisco is proud indeed… Well done ladies, you lead by example.

Photo credit: Kathryn MacDonald Photography.

For more on the League of  Women Voters and to get involved 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: StepIn2MyGreenWorld, Metro, San Francisco, CA, 94103, http://www.stepin2mygreenworld.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact