Germany has unveiled hydrogen-powered train that only emits steam, which is a groundbreaking accomplishment for the future of the environment.
The climate is changing around us, and not for the better.
According to the NRDC:
Global warming is caused by carbon dioxide pollution and other air pollution that collects in the atmosphere, and traps the heat form the sun, causing the planet to heat up.
The new train, known as the Coradia iLint only emits steam, and is powered by hydrogen. It is an environmentally friendly alternative to the countries many diesel based trains.
“It’s so clean you can breathe it in,” said Stefan Schrank, the train’s project manager at Alstom, a French company.
Lower Saxony has already ordered 14 of them, and they should become more common based on how it succeeds, reports Die Welt.
The hydrail can travel almost 500 miles per day with a top speed of about 87 mph. It is extremely quiet, except for the sound of wind resistance and the rails.
In the latest test, the train just reached short of 50 mph, so further tests need to be conducted to ensure safety at higher speeds.
“This test run is a significant milestone in environmental protection and technical innovation,” said Didier Pfleger, vice president of Alstom in Germany and Austria, according to The Telegraph.
“With the Coradia iLint and its fuel cell technology, Alstom is the first railway manufacturer to offer a zero-emission alternative for mass transit trains.”
According to Digital Trends, after more tests, the train is expected to be open to the public later this year on the Buxtehude-Bremervörde-Bremerhaven-Cuxhaven line in Lower Saxony, Germany.
“Alstom is proud to launch a breakthrough innovation in the field of clean transportation,” said Alstom CEO Henri Poupart-Lafarge, in a statement.
“It shows our ability to work in close collaboration with our customers and develop a train in only two years.”
Note: None of the information in our website is intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. The content on our website is for educational purposes only.
DON’T FORGET to sign up for our weekly newsletter to get our latest articles, updates, free recipes and giveaways.
1. “Global Warming Basics.” NRDC. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Apr. 2017.
2. “Germany Unveils Zero-emissions Train That Only Emits Steam.” The Independent. Independent Digital News and Media, 01 Nov. 2016. Web. 17 Apr. 2017.
3. “Alstom Unveils Its Zero-emission Train Coradia ILint at InnoTrans.” Alstom. Alstom, n.d. Web. 17 Apr. 2017.
4. “Hydrogen-powered Train with Zero Emissions Completes Test Run in Germany.” Digital Trends. N.p., 24 Mar. 2017. Web. 17 Apr. 2017.
5. “This Hydrogen-powered Train Emits Only Water.” CNNMoney. Cable News Network, n.d. Web. 17 Apr. 2017.
6. “The World’s First Zero-emissions Hydrogen Train Is Coming .” The Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group, 22 Mar. 2017. Web. 17 Apr. 2017.